Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2001


I vividly remember where I was, what I was doing...every little detail of 9/11. I was a junior in high school and was ironically wearing red, white, and blue on that day. The first plane crashed while I was working as a teacher's assistant.  Though, I didn't do much assisting that day- all I could do was stare at the television in disbelief. As I watched the second plane hit, I could hear gasps from the other classrooms, and a sense of fear overcame my body. People kept talking about "terrorists" and "war".  I was extremely naive and had no idea what it meant to be at war or what it meant for our country to be attacked by terrorists. I just knew I was very afraid.

Then, I remember the days following. The concerts, the vigils, and all the American flags. They lined the streets, hung on every house, on overpasses, businesses, and on cars. They were everywhere. Along with sorrow, anger, and fear, that tragic day brought pride, generosity, courage, patriotism, empathy, and goodwill. It was a time that we were all proud to be Americans.

Here we are now at the ten-year anniversary. Today we mourn the lives that were lost. We honor the countless heroes in New York, Pennsylvania, Washington, and especially those on Flight 93 and in battlefields abroad. We celebrate the death of Osama Bin Laden. Today we remember September 11, 2001 - a day America will never forget!



Picture via sodahead.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...